Inspiration - Glassblowing Class

A couple weeks ago, I took my first glassblowing class. It was a hot summer day, and the furnace especially made me sweat a bucket. I learned to dip metal rods into molten glass to "gather" and keep it spinning so that it doesn't drip. Also, glass explodes. Be sure not to mess with glass freshly congealing because it's still hot inside and the pressure can cause it to burst. First day, I learned to add colored grits into the molten glass, shape it with pliers, and then add more glass to it.




I made a paperweight, which came out really nice. I tried to put a heart in the middle, but it came out wonky:


I made a sad, melting snowman with the saddest beady eyes you ever saw:



It takes a lot of patience. Got to keep going back and forth between furnace and tools because the glass must always be piping hot.

Second day, I learned to blow glass. Now, when you think of blowing glass, you may think it magically expands as you breathe air into the tube. Nope. There's a special technique. You got to push air into it a special way with your thumb in your mouth to immediately trap in the air. Anyway, it was way harder than it seemed! I was glad I made a bubble at all!

So, here are my two twilight blue ornaments:




Pretty, pretty!

I had a lot of fun and recommend it to anyone that wants to give it a whirl.

I'd like to make something that looks like the nebula award with glittery galaxies...how cool would that be? I hope I can make something that awesome one day.

Cheers!


--Realm

Comments

  1. That sounds like a lot of fun. Maybe I will give it a try someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are so beautiful.

    I have always wanted to learn how to make glass beads, but I fear getting burned, due to my innate clutziness.

    Go you!!

    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy and Storyqueen -- It was fun! I was afraid of getting burned the first day, but by the second, I wasn't scared at all and got used to how to handle the glass. I'm pretty clumsy...so I'm sure you'll be fine!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts