HENGE - Interview with Audiobook Narrator

Today I'm sharing an interview with HENGE (Le Fay series 1) audiobook narrator and actress Isla Lindsay! She's done a fantastic job performing as Morgan le Fay. I also got to meet her during my short visit to London and she pointed me to check out a place where the Diagon Alley scene was filmed in Harry Potter. It was an amazing place! 


1. Thanks for joining us on the blog, Isla! What inspired you to become an actress?

I always wanted to be an actress, from such a young age I can't remember actively making that choice.  It was a love of storytelling, a belief in the importance of empathy and a desire to explore human nature, which kept me interested though.  



2. What are some of the challenges of narrating an audiobook? Have you learned anything surprising or interesting in the process that makes it different from acting for theater and film?

Each of those genres are very different and require a largely different skill set.  Audio narration is probably the furthest from traditional acting, but rests heavily on vocal technique and character work, so is also a return to the roots of drama and oral storytelling traditions.  The challenges unique to audio work include working alone (actors are social and collaborative beings by choice!) as well as the editing process which is alien to actors and can feel laborious.  Motivation is key.


3. What was your favorite part about HENGE?

I loved the magical and mythical elements woven into contemporary life, as well as the interplay between Morgan and Merlin.



4. You did a great job narrating as Morgan. Are there any aspects of Morgan that you can relate to?

Certainly, I always relate to strong female leads: their courage, sense of adventure and feisty attitudes resonate.  It is so important for young women to be exposed to characters like this whose story is not contingent on the male "hero" following his path - but rather on forging their own!  More characters like Morgan please!


5. Thank you, Isla! Anything about yourself or what you're working on that you'd like to share with us?

I am a feminist who loves fantasy literature and as an actor I am drawn to feminist work.  It has been a pleasure to work on this piece for that reason.  Up next, I will be playing Princess Matilda of Scotland in new historical feature film The Red King, shooting in the fall.




How exciting! Best of luck with your work, Isla! I look forward to seeing you play Princess Matilda. 

Readers -- I hope you enjoyed the interview! The link to Isla's site is here, and the link to the HENGE audiobook is here if you want to hear her performance! 


--Realm

Comments

Popular Posts