Year in Review - 2018

One of my favorite times of the year, New Year's Eve! I love doing all the Japanese traditions of getting the house all cleaned up and making a bowl of toshikoshi soba at night. We usually go to a NYE event, but this year, we are keeping it low key at home. The only plan is to play Beethoven's Symphony No. 9 for the countdown.

I spent the morning of NYE reflecting on the past year. This year I remember the values my grandparents taught -- to be kind, to keep learning, to connect with one another, and to live each day with intention and grace. My grandfather kept his days full with classes, helping others, and joining activities, and my grandmother always dressed her best, often in clothes she made herself, even if she wasn't leaving the house that day.

Certainly one of the hardest part of the year was saying goodbye to their home, which I have known all my life. It's a very old Victorian home in New England. I was taken there after I was born, and the house was a place I frequented throughout my life. I got to visit the house for the last time during summer, and also took my husband to WaterFire, a place my grandfather took me to when I was younger. The fire burning over the water does remind you of life transitions. Seasons do change -- the important thing is nothing of true value is ever lost. My grandparents values and lessons will always live within me.



I hope you also learned valuable lessons in 2018 to carry forward, and I hope the year was kind to you.




Have a Happy New Year!


--Realm

Comments

Popular Posts