Steph Bowe - Write What You (Don't) Know

Today we have the genius 15-year-old author Steph Bowe guest blogging about writing what you don't know!

_____


5 Tips for Writing What You (Don’t) Know


Always, when I stumble across writing advice on the internet, I see the same line: Write What You Know.

The issue for me is that I’m fifteen, and I don't know much at all. Until three years ago, I was a member of the Beanie Kids fan club. I still order off the kids menu at restaurants. I shop in the Junior section of clothes stores (though I am clinging to my childhood a lot more than other people my age). I write realistic teen fiction. Sometimes I write about things I haven’t experienced, or decide to base a novel around something I know nothing about (much research is involved). I’ve written three novels, and I’ll hopefully write many more. My writing is a place where I can get out of my comfort zone.

What I want to say is this: you don’t have to have experienced what you write. Many successful crime thrillers were written by people who were never policemen. J.K. Rowling didn’t go to Hogwarts, and Stephenie Meyer didn’t date a sparkly vampire (no matter how much she may wish she had).. Sure, the rules are different in fantasy, but what makes them ultimately successful is the writing, the characters and plot, the emotional appeal of it all. Here are some things to keep in mind when you’re writing about something that’s completely foreign to you:



1. Research, research, research. Create a file on your computer and browse the internet. The library is also an incredibly useful resource. If the story is busting to come out, don’t tell yourself you have to research everything first. You can research as you go. And don’t research for months on end – the actual writing is the important bit. You’ll know when you have enough information, and it’s worth getting a good book on your preferred topic so that you can look something up when you’re stuck on the novel instead of getting distracted on the internet by your emails and Twitter (I am guilty of tweeting instead of writing. I confess!)



2. If possible, get someone knowledgeable to read your book. Just as important as your beta-readers! Get a doctor friend to read your medical thriller, or a lawyer to read your courtroom drama. It’s even better if you can call up these people as you write, so that when you think you’re completely off track, they can reassure you (and even if you are writing about something you know, a friend to call and talk to when you get stuck, or think you’re terrible, is definitely a must for most writers. In general, we doubt ourselves a lot).



3. Don’t forget about your characters and plot! You can’t support a novel on a theme alone, and way too often I’ve read teen books with little substance – it’s just a book about [insert pertinent issue to teens here]. First and foremost, write a novel that will satisfy readers. (I find it best to imagine myself as the reader, and try and be objective about it.)



4. Make sure there’s emotional pull. You’ve decided to write a story about a mother dying of breast cancer. You haven’t personally known any cancer sufferers, but you know a doctor whose willing to fact check for you, and you’ve done all the research.. The most important thing here is that your novel doesn’t fall flat when it comes to emotion – you don’t have to have experienced that to know the emotions it would evoke, and these should be central to your novel (mainly character-driven novels). The way a novel makes me feel determines whether or not I enjoy it – it doesn’t matter if that emotion is sadness or happiness, it just has to be strong.



5. Above all else, tell a great story. Kind of revisiting 3 and 4 here, but it should be repeated: tell the story you want to tell, with characters that demand to be written. Don’t think about whether it will fit in the market, or whether you should put it off until the economy improves. If you have that passion, and if you have that drive, write your novel, and make it the best it can possibly be.

Good luck! Many thanks to the amazingly talented Realm for giving me the opportunity to write this guest post.


_____


Thank you, Steph! She has blog called Hey, Teenager of The Year! (My interview is on there too!)

UPDATE: Steph just signed with agent Ginger Clark after three offers!!! GO STEPH! Congratulations!

Comments

  1. Amazing that Steph is only 15, yet so smart (and mature) about her craft. I can't even remember what I was smart (or mature) about at 15...probably not much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that was awesome, nice to hear something different. breat of fresh air :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a great post. I especially liked the part about the Beanie Kids fan club. I was once the treasurer of the Sailor Moon Addicted fan club. Those were the days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wait. Are you really 15? You aren't some middle-aged college professor of writing and literature? Seriously, some of these points are not only good ones, but more articulate than I could ever be on a good day...

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seriously. Hard to believe Steph is just 15!!! She's SO smart and mature.

    Lunar -- haha, hilarious! When I was in a kid around 7-9 years old, I loved Sailor Moon too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is she a super genius or am I dreaming?...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts